Company description:EUMETSAT is Europe's meteorological satellite agency, operating satellites that monitor the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
EUMETSAT is an international organisation employing staff from across all 30 member states and this role is being advertised on multiple international job boards, but please note that this role would be based in Darmstadt, Germany
and would require international applicants to relocate if successful.
This role is rooted in the mission of EUMETSAT and will provide the opportunity to work with leading IT, Space and Earth Observation organisations and domain experts to make a positive impact on society!
The Spacecraft Simulator Software Engineer is a member of the Mission Control Applications and Tools (MCAT CA) Competence Area within the Generic Systems & Infrastructure (GSI) Division. The successful candidate will be responsible for the engineering and maintenance of Mission Control Applications and related tools within the EUMETSAT ground systems, for missions operated by EUMETSAT, in support to both Operations & Services to Users (OPS) and Programme Preparation & Development (PRD) departments.
The Spacecraft Simulator Software Engineer participates in the ground segment mission control functions design, development, maintenance and IV&V (Integration, Verification and Validation) activities and provides operations support in associated areas.
The Spacecraft Simulator Software Engineer contributes to knowledge management within the Generic Systems and Infrastructure (GSI) Division in the area of mission control systems and related technology/products, ensuring current technical expertise and competences are employed.
This position supports the European Union's Earth observation Copernicus programme.Job description:What you'll be doing
- Manage maintenance activities of spacecraft simulators and operation preparation tools, in support to flight operations preparation of operational missions;
- Interface with end-users (Flight Control Team) of spacecraft simulators for anomaly investigation, definition of corrective and evolving activities and mid-term planning of maintenance tasks and deliveries production;
- Manage maintenance and service contracts with industry, including the monitoring and control of contractors' performance against agreed Service Level Agreements and other contractual conditions;
- Support the definition, development and testing of new spacecraft simulators and operations preparation tools within the development of ground segments for new missions;
- Ensure the development and maintenance of the technical knowledge and skill-base within the competence area;
- Support the definition, development and adoption of generic, innovative and cost-efficient technical solutions for future evolutions of the systems under her/his responsibilities.
* University degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent.Skills and Experience:
What we offer:What we offer
- Development and maintenance of Spacecraft Simulators and Operation Preparation Tools (e.g. TM/TC database and flight operations procedure tools);
- Sound knowledge and experience using different software development methodologies and practices (e.g. waterfall, agile,) and lifecycles with formal production and maintenance of technical documentation such as: Software Requirements Specifications (SRS), Architectural Design Documents (ADD), Interface Control Document and Test Plans;
- Experience of maintaining large scale software systems in an operational environment, preferably related to high-availability (24 h/day) applications;
- Innovative mindset and proposed approach toward adoption of new technologies and engineering solution;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, combined with a proven ability to apply these collaboratively within and across teams;
- The knowledge of one or more of the following domains/systems is considered an advantage: o ESA/ESOC MICONYS Mission Control System suite
- Excellent salary, of up to Euro 7,500 NET (after tax) based on skills and experience
- Flexible working time including additional flexi-leave
- Full medical coverage for employee and family
- Attractive pension
- 30 days of annual leave + 14.5 days public holidays
- Training and development support
* Relocation allowance and support (if applicable)