Aftonbladet aims to make Sweden a little bit better, the world a little more understandable and life a little bit easier
The editorial team at Aftonbladet is looking for a front end software engineer who is interested in collaborating with journalists and news desks to create engaging and innovative visual storytelling applications. You will develop applications, data visualisation, frameworks and libraries, maps, as well as reusable components and tools.
The focus of the team the last 12 months has been on Covid-19 visualisations and statistics but we have also supported sport features and investigative journalism. The work is about creating an extraordinary user experience for our readers and is a big part of branding Aftonbladet as an innovative and exciting newspaper.
We work with short development cycles where the focus is on speed of delivery and quality of execution. You will work with the whole development cycle, from ideas and design input to implementation of backend and frontend. You will also develop longer term frameworks and reusable tools for visualizing data and supporting digital storytelling.
You can see some of our accomplishments here:
The ideal candidate will have deep experience in how to develop applications using Node, React and Svelte. If you know D3.js and TypeScript that is a big plus. Having an interest in the state of digital storytelling and data visualisation is also a merit.Relevant skills and experience
- Experience with databases such as MongoDB and MySQL.
- Experience of Docker and cloud platforms like AWS.
- A big plus is if you follow news and you are interested in society, with thoughts and ideas on how to develop in-depth journalism.
- Strong understanding of web performance, scalability, cross-browser compatibility issues, and implementation constraints.
- Understanding concepts and experience with continuous deployment
- Demonstrated experience and passion delivering high-quality user experiences.
- You follow current events and news and have thoughts and ideas on how to develop visual storytelling and data-driven stories.
- You are a natural and effective problem-solver. This requires a solution-oriented mindset, even in challenging situations.
- You display a high degree of effective, proactive communication, both verbally and in written form.
- You thrive in a working environment where other colleagues that don't have the same technical background as yourself, some of them being journalists.
- You always consider what's best for the company when making technology decisions.