SELECT 'Hello world,' FROM db.greetings;
We are calling all Data Scientists
to apply to Aftonbladet
, Sweden's biggest news source, reaching more than 3.6 million people every day. We are renowned for our independent journalism and our credo to make Sweden a little bit better, the world a little more understandable and life a little easier.
During 2020 Aftonbladet developed a new Data Strategy that focuses on transforming Sweden's biggest newspaper into a truly data-driven company. To enable this we are building a Data & Insights team tasked with collecting, structuring, enriching and analysing all available data. And there is a lot of data to dive into: we are generating 400 million new events consisting of over 20 billion data points each and every day. We are using a modern cloud-based Data Warehouse (Snowflake/AWS), Airflow, Docker and several front-end presentation tools like f.e. Tableau & Amplitude for display and research.
Data Science is not only about plotting charts, but also about connecting people to data. In our team, we want to do exactly that. Our mission is to "Enable all the people in Aftonbladet to do their own analysis and bring insights to actions" and we will achieve that by educating, evangelising and always supporting the business end-to-end.
Your insights do matter and you will have a great impact on how we are doing business and in our fight for an independent and strong fact-based journalism.
You will be part of a great team consisting of other Data Analysts, Scientists and Engineers. You will report to the Head of Data & Insights.What you do: enrich data, create insights & build recommendation models
Who you are: A structured, analytical & motivated team player
- Listen to the business, understanding their needs, asking the right questions, challenging the scope and taking ownership.
- Formulating user stories and refining them until they can be well understood by everyone else.
- Diving into data, communicating with colleagues on different levels and seeking new ways on how to solve our biggest problems.
- Finding, cleaning, transforming and scheduling data pipelines as required.
- Building new tools and forecast models to support the business with advanced analytics and recommendations based on user behaviour and historical records.
- Creating insights by connecting facts with new data points and presenting those with suggested actions to your stakeholders.
- Co-operate and communicate - we are a team and we help each other as much as we can.
- You possess a MS degree in a quantitative discipline (i.e. Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Research, Economics, Engineering).
- You have worked a couple of years within the field of advanced analytics, big data or data engineering and are experienced in doing quantitative analysis.
- You have a good business understanding and are able to switch seamlessly between drawing technical details and sketching simplified pictures.
- You are structured and analytical - you know that for every problem there exists also a solution.
- You are a great team player and a true believer of the principle: "If you want to go fast, go alone, if you want to go far, go together!".
- You are fluent in English, SQL and at least one programming language like Python, Java or Scala.
- Understanding the basics in Swedish is a huge merit - in the end, all our articles are written in Swedish and so is most of the metadata.
- You are very curious, eager to learn new things, able to admit your mistakes and willing to learn from them.
- You don't think 'scrum' is the user-interface of an old point-n'-click adventure and are able to work agile in a medium-size team.