Data and insight is fundamental to achieve Schibsted's News Media strategy. In the central media insights team, our vision is to enable high quality and compliant data access in order to facilitate data driven product development and data informed decisions at all levels.
As the News Media division is converging on common infrastructure, the data sources and data warehouse solutions for separate publishers will be replaced by a common self-serve data platform. The new platform supports all teams from both central functions and local brands, such as Aftonbladet, SvD, VG, Aftenposten and more.
Schibsted promotes learning and growth, and to make sure it happens, every second Friday in our team is dedicated to learning or hacking. There are no expectations on you that anything actionable comes out of it, only that you use the time to actually learn and delve deeper into something that is meaningful to you.
As a Data Engineer, you will be a part of the team that designs, implements and maintains what will be the News Media Data Platform. The Team is located in the Shared Products & Platforms organisation (SPP) and is currently staffed with two Senior Data Engineers, three Data Analysts, and an Engineering Manager.What you will do:
Who we think you are:
- Design and implement scalable data pipelines in batch and stream, our primary code base is in Python
- Manage our Cloud Infrastructure, we work with Terraform and AWS
- Design data models and architecture for performance, flexibility and scalability (we process billions of events every day)
- Be an important part in forming the platform's technical direction and roadmap. Together with analysts and other data engineers you will evaluate existing solutions and make technology choices for how to deliver and store data efficiently and reliably. We always try to pick the right tool for the job and rely heavily on Open Source.
- Work together with highly skilled analysts, data scientists and engineers across all of Schibsted
Please note that due to summer vacation - applications will be processed in August
- At least 3 years of experience working as a software- or data engineer in a professional environment
- Strong skills in at least one OOP-language such as Python, Scala, Java or Kotlin and at least one ANSI-SQL variant
- Committed to technology. You enjoy figuring out solutions to complex problems, and adapting the solution to the user's ability
- You have a good knowledge of agile principles and experience working in an agile environment
- We value strong knowledge of software engineering fundamentals such as data structures and algorithms
- Responsible, self-driven and with a getting things done mindset
- Experience or an interest in modern data engineering practices and technologies, such as Airflow, Kafka, Kubernetes, Snowflake as well as cloud infrastructure
- Fluent in both written and spoken English