Curate is Schibsted Media's central platform for automating and personalising frontpages.
We are looking for a Data Scientist for the Curate product team.
Curate sets out to revolutionize how we distribute the right content to the right user at the right time. It's as simple as that.
The team has the mandate and space to experiment and radically change our publications main assets - their front pages.
In Curate you'll be part of a highly dedicated and competent cross-functional team with everything it needs to realize its mission, including skills within engineering, UX, product management, data analysis and data science/machine learning.
The team has proved the founding bet: that an automated front-page can perform better than a manually curated one, and we are now in the process of scaling and improving the offering.
There is a long journey ahead, but our work has already been recognized with prestigious awards like the INMA Award for "Best in Europe".
The whole industry is learning and watching closely as we undertake one of the biggest changes in how readers experience journalism, and if you are seeking impact, this is the role for you.
Check out how Schibsted uses machine learning to recommend content https://bit.ly/2Xr13Mq
As a Data Scientist part of the product team, you will be utilizing your knowledge, toolbox and experience, and with the rest of the team scale and nail the product beyond the current offering.
Your main contributions will be to the KPIs, algorithms and experimentation parts of the platform.What you will do
Your areas of focus will lie in the following areas:
Who you are
- KPIs: As the Curate platform is scaling, the Curate KPIs needs to be clearly defined and observable both internally and externally.
- Algorithms The algorithms sit at the core of Curate's offering. You will be responsible for continuously contributing, maintaining and scaling Curate's algorithms to optimize the frontpages. In particular, that entails being a part of the workstream that aims to optimize the frontpages using personalisation. Part of this is also to package the algorithms to the newsrooms in a simple and user-friendly manner.
- Experimentation: Efficient experimentation is critical to the success of both Curate and the newsrooms using Curate. In this role, you will work on making sure experiments can be conducted and evaluated efficiently in both ends.
- Quality assurance: Part of your job will be sharing your knowledge with the rest of the team and make sure it gets applied, but also to the rest of the organization. This entails gathering and spreading learnings, pairing up with other disciples to achieve maximum impact, ensuring the integrity and quality in the fundamental models as they are put in production.
It is great if you have
- At least a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Software Engineering, Applied Mathematics or any quantitative field.
- Adequate experience of building systems for model training and serving using, e.g., TensorFlow, Keras, or PyTorch.
- Strong statistical knowledge as well as understanding and genuine interest of AI and machine learning methods and algorithms, e.g., gradient-based optimization and neural networks.
- Comfortable with more advanced data preparation techniques and analysis of large amount of data.
- Experience with development in programming languages such as Python/R and Java, especially being able to contribute in all the different stages of a Data Science pipeline.
- Solid understanding of version control concepts and good practices.
- Proven track record of shipping technology while dealing with ambiguity. The data science toolbox here is a means to an end, not the end, you will need a keen sense of business and product and in the end, our readers, to be successful in the role.
- Experience with cloud providers such as Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud, and being familiar with container based architectures and microservices.
- Experience with distributed computing technologies like Spark, Hadoop and Kafka.
- Some experience in using TypeScript.
- A strong software engineering background in general.