Opportunity to teach highly motivated US-based university students in Stockholm
DIS Stockholm is currently hiring part-time faculty to teach or co-teach the course Engineering Sustainable Environments in Scandinavia
starting in August 2021. Preparation of the course content will start in spring 2021 (the pre-preparation fee will be paid out separately). The course will be offered twice per year: fall term (mid-August to mid-December) and spring term (mid-January to mid-May), a total of 10 months per year. The position is temporary for one year but with great chances for extended employment.
The course includes lectures, discussions, student-centered learning activities, field studies in the Stockholm region, one faculty-led study tour within Sweden, one faculty-led study tour to Iceland, student assessment, grading, and feedback.
Course description: This engineering course explores the development of tools and technologies to protect and restore environmental systems sustainably, using contemporary Scandinavian case studies. We assess local environmental impacts of human activities relating to water consumption, waste production, transportation, energy, air quality, heat, and urban ecosystems, applying methods, techniques, and modeling to describe, quantify, and solve environmental problems through collaborative engineering solutions. The course is problem-based and experiential, with course-integrated travel throughout the region, and hands-on projects with real-world applications. For more information about the course syllabus please visit our recruitment platform: https://dis.career.emply.com/available-positionsThere are many good reasons to teach at DIS, including excellent opportunities to
- Work in an international, informal, and enthusiastic academic environment with an emphasis on cross-cultural understanding, teamwork, innovation, collegiality, and adaptability.
- Develop interactive, experiential teaching skills and teaching experience in English.
- Enhance the cultural competencies of US-based students/emerging professionals by sharing your knowledge of Scandinavia and local best practices.
Main tasks and responsibilities as part-time faculty
- Expand professional networks throughout Scandinavia and the United States.
- Revise and finalize the syllabus for the course, in collaboration with DIS staff. Please note: This is an introductory course to various topics within environmental engineering, taught to engineering students in their third or fourth year of university studies. Specific course topics may vary depending on the particular expertise of the teaching faculty.
- Teach at DIS Stockholm. The teaching format includes classroom lectures, discussions, student-centered learning activities, experiential learning activities, field studies, and domestic and international study tours.
- Plan academic visits and travel with students in faculty-led study tours. The first tour takes the classroom to Luleå (3 days) and various sites in Stockholm (2 days). The second tour (6 days) takes students to Iceland for course-integrated site visits.
- Assess students' performance, grade assignments, and provide feedback to students throughout the course.
- Participate in meetings/workshops to develop pedagogical skills in line with the DIS teaching philosophy.
- Relevant background (Ph.D. in environmental engineering or related field), professional engineering experience, and hands-on expertise within the field of the course.
- The candidate should be open to pedagogical support from DIS and capable of incorporating DIS's interactive and hands-on teaching philosophy into teaching practice.
- Experience creating a structured and interactive learning environment is an advantage.
Please submit your CV and application letter, addressing the professional competencies above, in English, as soon as possible. In your application, you should clearly state the position you are applying for. Applications will be processed as received. You can also apply directly on our recruitment platform: https://dis.career.emply.com/available-positionsContact Information
Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.orgTemporary employment:
12 months but with great chances for extended employment.Part-time:
approximately 15 hours per week. January-May and August - December.Deadline:
As soon as possible, but no later than 2021-03-31.Start date:
2021-08-01, but the preparation of the course content will start in spring 2021 (pre-preparation fee will be paid out separately).