Opportunity to teach highly motivated US-based university students in StockholmDIS Stockholm
is currently hiring part-time faculty to teach the course Engineering Biomaterials
starting in August 2021. Preparation of course content will start in spring 2021. The course will be offered twice per year: fall term (mid-August to mid-December) and spring term (mid-January to mid-May). The course includes lectures, discussions, student-centered learning activities, field studies in the Stockholm region, student assessment, grading, and feedback. Every term, teachers are in direct contact with students during 23 sessions (80 minutes each) and 2 field studies (4 hours each).Engineering Biomaterials course description
Dissolvable wound dressings, replacement hips, contact lenses – biomaterials are substances suitable for interaction with biological systems, ultimately intended for therapeutic and diagnostic applications. What technologies are in development now? What biomaterials are poised to change our lives? Examine the design and characterization of biomaterials, emphasizing the interplay between material and human tissue. Focus areas include the principles and applications of biomaterials with specific physical, chemical, and mechanical properties which, for example, serve as substrates for tissue-engineered constructs, cell delivery systems, or coatings of implantable devices.
For more information about the course syllabus please visit our recruitment platform: https://dis.career.emply.com/available-positionsThere are many good reasons to teach at DIS, such as excellent opportunities to
- Work in an international, informal, and enthusiastic academic environment with an emphasis on cross-cultural understanding, teamwork, innovation, collegiality, and adaptability
- Develop interactive, experiential teaching skills and teaching experience in English
- Enhance the cultural competencies of US-based students/emerging professionals by sharing your knowledge of Scandinavia and local best practices
Main tasks and responsibilities as part-time faculty
- Expand professional networks throughout Scandinavia and the United States
- Revise and finalize the syllabus for the course, in collaboration with DIS staff. Please note: This is an introductory course to various topics within biomaterials, taught to engineering students in their third or fourth year of university studies. Specific course topics may vary depending on the particular expertise of teaching faculty.
- Teach at DIS Stockholm. Teaching format includes classroom lectures, discussions, student-centered learning activities, experiential learning activities and field studies.
- Assess students' performance, grade assignments, and provide feedback to students throughout the course.
- Participate in meetings/workshops to develop pedagogical skills in line with the DIS teaching philosophy.
- Relevant background (PhD in biomedical engineering or related field), professional bioengineering experience, and hands-on expertise within the field of the course
- Candidate should be open to pedagogical support from DIS and capable of incorporating DIS' interactive and hands-on teaching philosophy into teaching practice
- Experience in creating a structured and interactive learning environment is an advantage
Please submit your CV and application letter, addressing the professional competencies above, in English, as soon as possible. In your application, you should clearly state the position you are applying for. Applications will be processed as received.Contact Information
Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org