Scania is now undergoing a transformation from being a supplier of trucks, buses and engines to a supplier of complete and sustainable transport solutions.
Thesis project at Scania is an excellent way of making contacts for your future working life. Many of our current employees started their career with a thesis project.Background:
Scania's IoT platform consists of trucks, buses and engines whose sensors and controllers are connected to Scania's central servers. The connection is via a communication device that sends and receives data via the mobile network.
Scania offers its customers a number of services that use the IoT platform to retrieve and send data. A subset of data is also used internally to improve Scania's products and internal processes.
Several previous thesis projects have investigated the possibilities of using Blockchain in Scania's connected services and listed a number of use cases where it would be useful. Some practical tests have also been made.Target:
Understand how we can use Blockchain technology to further increase trust in Scania's products and / or services.Assignment:
In this thesis, we want to investigate how we can use the support for Blockchain in AWS (Amazon Web Services) to realize a specific use case and argue for any possible pros and cons it would give us compared to conventional technology.
The thesis may consist of the following parts:
- Determine and detail a suitable use case (e.g. access to workshop history, current vehicle configuration, driver journal / drive- and rest times, tolls or freight tracking)
- Design and configure a blockchain network in AWS based on Ethereum or Hyperledger
- Investigate which type of data that is appropriate to handle this way (based on a GDPR and business perspective)
- Find out how others use Blockchain technology
- Argue how trust can be improved for Scania's products / services with this technique
Masters programme in Computer Science or similar
Number of students: 1-2
Start date: Late autumn 2018 or spring 2019
Estimated time needed: 20 weeksContact persons and supervisors:
Sussi Miller Tiedemann, solution architect and supervisor, +46736688416
Katarina Prytz, manager, +46765166809Application:
Your application should contain a covering letter, CV and transcripts.
Selections will be made throughout the application period.