Aftenposten is looking for a talented designer to join a growing product team with big ambitions for 2021. Aftenposten is Norway's largest subscription paper with over 300.000 readers every day and has become an industry leader in building long term relationships with its growing digital subscription base. Working in Aftenposten is not only an opportunity to create innovative and engaging products and services that reach a large share of Norway's populations, it also means taking part in the societal mission of bringing trustworthy news to the people. As a designer in Aftenposten you'll work holistically with the entire portfolio of products and services, from understanding user needs, doing research, creating concepts, crafting designs, carrying out user tests and shaping the Aftenposten user experience.
The role is expected to bring a strong user-centric product development approach, and will first and foremost work together with the Product team, but also the larger Aftenposten organization, in bridging business and user needs. We are looking for someone who knows how to design inclusive and humane user experiences with a deep understanding of what makes a good design process. You are not afraid to challenge existing ideas, share your knowledge, and experiment. You should be passionate about design and care deeply about user needs and behavior. You are a team player with a strong ability to collaborate and communicate, both verbally and visually.
You will be working as a member of our family, part of a cross-functional team of product people and developers (web & apps). You'll carry the flag for our users and we want you to take charge in making sure their voice is heard!What you will do:
You will play a key role in creating a world-class news experience across all our digital platforms. You will shape a product that optimizes for time well spent and long term user value, rather than simple maximization of user attention and screen time. Always with a focus on the users' overall experience and balance it with the business needs. You'll be an important partner when setting up our strategic goals for the product, collaborating cross-functionally with the UX lead, product management and engineering to ensure successful product development.
You will support your team throughout the full lifecycle of product development and be expected to utilize the complete range of design and service design tools, as well as conducting qualitative, evaluative user research in various formats - enabling us to create solutions for end users that delight and excite users while fulfilling their needs.
You will be an active part of a large UX community across Schibsted News Media, collaborating with teams in other offices (both in Norway and Sweden), and contribute to UX strategy and our way of working.
The role is positioned in the Aftenposten brand team (product team), organized under Schibsted Product & Tech.About you:
- Expert understanding of usability and user experience principles, comfortable working with UX on a conceptual level.
- Strong visual and aesthetic skills with ability to create final designs for implementation.
- Strong ability to synthesize user data and research to create user flows, wireframes, information architecture, and interface mockups.
- Naturally, acquire insight through evaluative research of user needs, and from that build and communicate knowledge to guide AP product development.
- A natural instinct to translate and document design ideas that can be shared with all parts of the business.
- Ability to contribute to product decisions and priorities.
- Passion for digital products, technology, and an openness to radical change.
- Always being a design evangelist.
- Strong ability to collaborate across locations, brands and cultures.
- Ability to work closely with engineering, product management and user research teams in order to design experiences that are technologically feasible and meet the business and user needs.
- Ability to work in an agile environment with openness to fast paced changes in priority.
- Fluent communication skills in English (verbal and written). Good understanding of Norwegian is a plus.
What we offer
- A masters degree in a relevant field of design, or professional experience to balance out a lower level of education
- Professional experience of interaction/or visual design.
- Experience designing for both desktop and mobile platforms
- Experience from product development processes, UX design and user research methods.
- You will be part of a team of inspired, friendly colleagues in the Aftenposten product team while being part of a bigger democratic mission empowering the fourth estate. You will also be a part of Schibsted's large UX community.
- We invest in your growth and your competence by letting you spend 10% of your working time to develop and offer you a yearly conference budget
- At our offices we run multiple internal learning sessions, breakfast seminars, Schibsted Talks with complimentary lunch and other fun events
- Being part of a passionate and professional team producing impactful products
- Competitive salary according to your level of competence and experience
- Insurance and pension schemes
If you wish to apply for this role, please send us with the following:
- Portfolio with examples of recent work
- Cover Letter
As a part of this process, we will conduct a background check on the final candidate.During this time of the year, we're enjoying the holiday season and will start the recruitment process around mid-January.