The European Spallation Source, ESS, a partnership of European countries, is hiring motivated and inspired people to design, construct and operate the world's most powerful neutron source. We seek ambitious, talented people in different fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe.
ESS can offer a variety of things, such as passionate and international colleagues, a vibrant melting pot of diversity, and a challenging, exciting and high paced work environment. We value and need expertise, innovative minds and great ways of leading and interacting with people from all over the world.
Come and change the world with us!
ESS is now looking for an SRF Engineer organised within the Superconducting RF Section, in the Technical Directorate.
The Superconducting RF Section is, as part of the Accelerator Division, responsible for the coordination and supervision of the technical activities related to the SRF systems, from the coordination and supervision of the design and assembly at the in-kind partners, to the preparation, execution and evaluation of the tests at the Lund Test Stand 2 (TS2) and to the installation and commissioning in the ESS Facility.Job description
Your main area of responsibilities as an SRF Engineer will be to:
- Support the Section with SRF expertise for the preparation, execution and evaluation of the Site Acceptance Tests (SAT) of the elliptical cryomodules at the TS2, and of the spoke cryomodules at the in-kind partner Uppsala.
- Work in the laboratory of the Section and at TS2 for the development, deployment and improvement of the needed instrumentation setup and automation tools, to support the execution and supervision of the SAT program.
- Support the technical and beam commissioning activities of the ESS SRF Linac, with capability to lead the technical, organizational and administrative workflow of sections of the project plan to achieve the major milestones, in delegation from the Machine Section Coordinator of the SRF Linac.
- Contribute in the preparation work for capturing the technical SRF requirements for a Cryomodule Repair Test Facility needed for the long-term maintenance of the ESS accelerator facility.
The successful candidate will have:
- Strong expertise in the design and operation of RF cavities, preferably of the superconducting type.
- Hands-on laboratory skills in the use of RF instrumentation (vector network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, power meters, scopes, ...), a basic knowledge of electronics, and familiarity with open-source scientific programming in a multi-platform environment, for the development of high-level measurement/analysis applications.
- Accustomed to operation of interconnected systems under the management of a complex distributed control system (preferably EPICS), with capabilities to negotiate requirements and achieve integration with other stakeholders in AD and ICS for the operation of the test facilities and of the linac.
- At least 5 years from PhD with work related to Accelerator Physics and demonstrated individual achievements in the development or operation of RF cavity components in an existing accelerator infrastructure.
We believe that you are a true team player, and that collaboration, also cross-disciplinary, comes naturally to you. You are driven and committed and can deliver on time, also during intense periods of work. You are confident within your expertise, willing to share your knowledge and open for other views.
Working outside normal working hours and on-call is to be expected.
Duration & Location
The position is permanent with six months initial probationary period.
Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden.Start date
The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
The curriculum vitae and cover letter must be in English. You start your application by clicking on "apply" and following the instructions.
Please note that we only accept applications via the ESS website.
For some roles at ESS health check-ups and security clearance are required, and thus this might be applicable in the final parts of the recruitment process. The applicant is expected to be fit to perform the applicable tasks of this recruitment.
The deadline for applications is 30th April, 2021
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process.
For further information regarding the position, please contact the Recruiting Manager, Paolo Pierini, Section Leader for Superconducting RF, paolo.pierini[at]ess.eu.
For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Tina Nilsson, tina.nilsson[at]ess.eu.
For trade union information please contact Unionen / Conny Wendt at +46 46 888 34 63
or SACO / Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers/ Riccardo Bevilacqua at +46 46 888 32 28.
We look forward to receiving your application!