The European Spallation Source, ESS, a partnership of European countries, is hiring motivated and inspired people to design, construct and operate the world's most powerful neutron source. We seek ambitious, talented people in different fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe.
ESS can offer a variety of things, such as passionate and international colleagues, a vibrant melting pot of diversity, and a challenging, exciting and high paced work environment. We value and need expertise, innovative minds and great ways of leading and interacting with people from all over the world.
Come and change the world with us!
ESS is now looking for an Electromechanical Technician position organised within the Electrical Power Systems Group, Accelerator Division in the Technical Directorate.
The pulsed superconducting linac, built in Lund, will produce a 5 MW average power proton beam, driving the world´s most powerful neutron source. The Electrical Power Systems Group, within the Accelerator Division, is in charge of designing, specification, procurement, testing and later on operation and maintenance of power supplies for the ESS accelerator Linac, including the High Voltage power supplies for the RF amplifiers (weighting up-to 12 tons each), the Radio Frequency Power Stations for the Spokes cavities and the low voltage power supplies for the magnets (about 300 units in total). The total installed power of these power systems will be in the order of 15MVA.Job description
Your main area of responsibilities as an Electromechanical Technician, under the supervision of the Electrical Power Systems Group leader, will be to:
- Provide support in the electromechanical construction setup of power supply prototypes, from power levels ranging from a few kW to several hundreds of kW;
- Installing the power components and controllers in the electrical cabinets or racks;
- Wiring the power cables inside the cabinets/racks and the signal cables for the controller;
- Install the power supplies in their test stands and connect them to the AC power line, load and water cooling circuits whenever applicable;
- Keep the test stands organised and with appropriate tools, components, instruments, etc.;
- Provide support in measurements and in testing of power supplies and electrical apparatus;
- Execute different mechanical works on the power supplies and installation of their auxiliaries
The successful candidate will have:
- Technician degree in electrical or electronics systems;
- Up-to 8 years of experience in electromechanical works requiring several tasks like placing components in electrical cabinets, wiring of power and signal cables, fitting connectors in cables, is essential;
- Previous experience in complying with electrical safety rules, regulations and good practice as well as having the appropriated mindset - safety first! is a prerequisite;
- Good oral and written English skills, is required;
- Experience in using simple hands on tools for electromechanical works like metal plate bending and cutting machines, drilling machines, etc., desirable;
- Basic knowledge of main components, instruments and equipment used within electrical/electronic circuits and their main functions;
- Previous experience from high-voltage work environment, would be an advantage;
We truly believe that you are a team player with a proactive attitude in helping the team and other colleagues achieving common goals. We are looking for a doer with a trouble shooting attitude, that is comfortable to rely upon, cooperate with and take instructions from colleagues.
At ESS we will have some possibility to provide you with training and mentoring with a focus on enlarging personal skills and knowledge.
Working outside normal working hours and on-call is to be expected according to ESS rules and the relevant regulations.
Duration & Location
The position is permanent with six months initial probationary period
Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden.Start date
The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae and personal letter in English by clicking on "apply" and follow the instructions. Kindly include the following in your personal letter:
- Elaborate on your motivation to applying for this specific position at ESS.
- Giving specific examples of your previous experiences that would be useful to bring to this role.
Please note that we only accept applications via the ESS website.
For some roles at ESS health check-ups and security clearance are required, and thus this might be applicable in the final parts of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is 28/02/2021.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process.
For further information regarding the position, please contact the Recruiting Manager, Electrical Power Systems Group Leader, Carlos De Almeida Martins, Carlos.Martins@ess.eu
For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Karin Vandenborre, email@example.com
For trade union information please contact Unionen / Conny Wendt at +46 46 888 34 63
or SACO / Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers/ Riccardo Bevilacqua at +46 46 888 32 28.
We look forward to receiving your application!